St Andrew Broughton
St Andrew's is a vibrant church at the heart of the village of Broughton. It is a Grade II listed Norman building with a must see stained glass window and is a truly inspiring place to worship and become part of a friendly community.
Everyone who visits the church, be it for a moment's peace, to participate in a service or enjoy one of our many special events is guaranteed a warm welcome.
We have a bustling calendar of events ranging from traditional Sunday services, to house groups, a lively Sunday School, a jigsaw club, cafe and knitting groups, to name but a few. For more information either click on the images below highlighting a few events or visit our What's On! page.
Christians have been worshiping on this site in Broughton for more than 800 years. The original church was probably a 12 century Norman building without aisles. It was likely to have been made of ironstone with the nave being the same size as at present and probably a small chancel. The church was enlarged in the 14th century in Gothic style by adding the north and south aisles, a clerestory level, a tower and a spire. A new entrance door and porch and an enlarged chancel were also added. The font, which is still used for baptisms today, was added in the late 1300s. A mechanical clock was installed in the tower in 1650. This was replaced in 1679 with a pendulum driven clock which remains today. (pictured opposite) And the first 4 bells were added in 1709. New box pews were introduced in 1772 and possibly the west gallery.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1828 and the south porch rebuilt in 1892 incorporating the original foundation stone from the old Broughton C of E School.
A major re-ordering commenced in 1854 Victorians inspired by the Victorian ideology at the time. The west gallery, box pews and triple decker pulpit were removed and it is thought the floor level was lowered, possibly to accommodate new 4" heating pipework, which is still in use today.
New stained pine pews (rectangular ended) were comprehensively installed covering every square foot of space. The font was moved from the chancel to the south entrance and the coke boiler re-sited in an underground cellar. A cast iron pipe system for distributing heating around the church using hot water from the boiler was also installed.
The east window was re- glazed by James Powell and Sons in 1855 based on the 'Good Shepherd' A new pulpit arrived in 1867 which was subsequently moved to the opposite side of the chancel in 1885 to allow for the installation of a new pipe organ. After 130 years faithful service it was replaced in 2014, but remains insitu today.
The 20th Century
Electricity arrived in the early 1900s allowing replacement of the old oil lamps. The Memorial Window was created by Morris & Co and installed in 1919 above the plaque commemorating those lost in the First World War.
The inscription in the window reads:
"To the Glory of God and in ever lasting remembrance of the men of this parish who went forth at the call of duty."
Church accounts show £6-10s-10d was raised for the Memorial Window Fund, but it was not known how much it actually cost.
In the 1950's Broughton blacksmith George James turned inventor to create a self-winding mechanism for the church clock to save it having to be wound by hand, as it had been for nearly 300 years. He used a clever system of bicycle chains and sprockets powered by two electrical motors. Today, much of the original 17th Century mechanism is still fully functioning, but the raising of the weights is done by electricity.
George James and Sons also stepped in to save the day when lightening struck the clock in 1960, blowing it off its mountings. They, plus others rebuilt the clock.
In 1990 a minor re-ordering took place to introduce the nave altar. This required the removal of the 1867 pulpit.
A new disabled WC was installed in 2002 and a kitchenette added. The vestry was temporarily relocated to its current position at the east end of the south aisle. We were able to add the new audio visual and multi media system were added in 2011.
In 2012 new digital bells were installed by Smith's of Derby. The original bells remain in the tower to this day, but are not able to be rung. A new three phase electricity supply and the two new heating chandeliers were added in the nave in 2014. The trial of the Allen R400 digital organ also began in place of the original instrument.
Bishop Donald Allister, Bishop of Peterborough, dedicated two wrought iron poppy sculptures, incorporating poppies featured in the awesome Tower of London Remembers installation, in the Memorial Window in 2015.